Procedure for laying hydraulic mosaic tiles
1. The laying of hydraulic tile is simple and quick; for its perfect execution it will be necessary to previously level the floor on which it will be laid, leaving it to dry (never lay slabs on fresh cement filler). Furthermore, we will wait until the base on which we are going to lay the hydraulic tile is perfectly dry, otherwise the humidity of the work will evaporate, causing saltpetre stains on the tiles.
2. It is advisable to leave some space between the edge of the floor and the wall, just enough so that the skirting board can cover it and thus avoid possible problems of the tile breaking due to structural movements of the house.
3. Once the tile has been laid, the tiles must be laid by applying adhesive cement with a coarse-toothed rake, both on the floor and on the tile (double bonding), to improve adhesion and avoid possible gaps that may clean up a tile in the future.
4. The laying of hydraulic tiles must be done by hand, one by one and without using a hammer or other tools, as they cannot be polished later like other materials.
5. The separation between hydraulic tiles must be minimal, 1 to 2mm, respecting their alignment to achieve a good design finish.
6. Once the hydraulic mosaic tile has been laid and after the adhesive has dried, the surface must be cleaned with plenty of water, removing the fine layer of pigmented powder that covers the tiles.
Atelier Portugal recommends that the FILA brand be used for its hydraulic mosaics, but this is only indicative, as each tile layer will have their own brand and method of laying the hydraulic mosaic.
1º Pre-Treatment (before jointing or grouting)
This consists of applying a handful of "IMPER HIDRO H20" (Hibro Repellent) after the material has set and 24 hours before laying the joints. The purpose of the pre-treatment is to prevent the chalky residues of the joints from penetrating into the material, sometimes creating irreversible stains. This work can be done with a paintbrush or roller and must be done with a very good paintbrush.
2º Treatment with repellent oil without filming and without altering the colour of the material
The mosaic must be dry after applying the pre-treatment.
Apply "PROTECT JA" (filmless oil repellent protector) with a brush or spray two coats of "PROTECT JA" (filmless oil repellent protector)
The second coat can only be applied when the first coat is dry, which depends on the ambient temperature.
After drying the last hand of "PROTECT JA" apply with a "peluche" or sponge two hand and CERA MATE "TRATUS".
The second hand must be applied as soon as the first one is dry, when giving it with the "peluche" or the sponge it will always have to be well pulled so that it doesn't stay excesses in case it happens to pass soon with a dry cloth to dry the excess
Any questions please contact us at
Book of Praise and Complaints Book
Present your suggestion or compliment to the operator / service provider:
Submit your complaint to the operator / service provider: